Sunday, July 21, 2013

The story of our precious baby boy, Quinn Eric Burton

In April of this year, Eric and I were lucky enough to share the exciting news that we are expecting our first baby!! Weeks flew as we started to prepare for this new adventure in our lives. In May we went to our 20 week ultrasound and found out that our sweet bot has a genetic disorder called Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome. It's a condition where Quinn has an extra 18th chromosome so he has some disfigurements such as a "rocker bottom" foot, scoliosis and clenched hands (they are my favorite, they are so stinking cute). But along with that he also has a large number of cysts on his brain and has some major heart problems. All these things put together make him, as the doctors told us, "incompatible with life". Wew ere told we had a c hoice to terminate the pregnancy or go along as far as Quinn can make it. It was never a hard decision though, we know that our Heavenly Father sent him here to have a body and that we will keep him here with us as long as he needs to be. We are on week 27 of pregnancy and are incredibly lucky to still have him here with us. He is such a fighter and already has the cutest personality. There is an incredible support group for Mom's in these situations called "Angel Watch" and it was suggested to blog about our experience. Part of it is therapy for me, the other part is sharing my love for Quinn. Some posts will be about parts of this journey or appointments or memories, some about how we are coping, some may just be letters I would write to him. Eric and I fall in love with him more and more everyday and are so proud to be called his parents.

9 comments:

  1. nicole, your sweet Quinn is a lucky boy to have such strong and loving parents. writing can be such an effective form of therapy, at least it has been for me. know i'm always here for you if you need someone to talk to or someone to just listen. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, you are wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Your sweet little boy feels your love every moment he is with you, and I'm so glad you have this time to spend together. I love your amazing attitude. Quinn is lucky to have such amazing parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, thank you for sharing! There is always strength in sharing trials, especially because it gives others a chance to pray for you and your family. You are such an example because there are so many out there who would have made a different choice. We'll pray for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, I am so proud of you! You made a Blog - and it is perfect! I am so glad that you have decided to share your feelings and emotions on this page. I know that it will be helpful to you throughout the journey and probably for years to come. You are a marvelous family - going through something really tough right now. My prayers are with you everyday. We are all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad you wrote about this. and i'm happy to hear an update. i've been thinking about you guys and your sweet boy often, please know that :) call or text anytime, SERIOUSLY! love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole and Eric---You have a large family and extended family cheering you on, not to mention the countless friends to help carry you the rest of the way on this incredible journey. Amazing is only one of the words above which describes you two. I knew, Eric, from my first meeting with Nicole what a special and beautiful woman you had chosen for your life's companion. And I knew, too, what an extraordinary man Nicole was welcoming into her life. I am so touched and so proud of both of you! You have many more and beautiful memories to make together. Congratulations on your choice to share your current "memories" with the rest of us. Love you ALWAYS and ALL WAYS. "Aunt" Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole i am praying for you and your family. This sweet angel is so lucky to have you as his mommy, you are giving him a great gift. Hugs! Xoxoxoxo -Natalie brown

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eric and Nicole, my name is Spencer Woolley. You probably do not know me from Adam, but I was a year ahead of Eric at Cottonwood. We had Brother Fillmore's seminary class together. My wife Chelsea's youngest sister also had Trisomy 18, and her parents, Jim and Debbie Dye, are on the national board for S.O.F.T - the Support Organization for Trisomy. The are also the head of the Utah Chapter. They can put you in touch with all sorts of resources. I recognize how exciting, scary and exhausting this can all be. If I or S.O.F.T can help in any way, please email me back at spencercwoolley@gmail.com, and I will put you in touch with my in-laws. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you and love you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete